Wednesday 18 December 2013

OATMEAL COOKIES

I've never really been a fan of sweet things. When ever I eat something sweet, I start craving salty or spicy food and if I have none around I get a little bit anxious and I'm not talking about the good anxiety.  I could eat a piece of sweet, moist, heavenly red velvet cake and the next minute I start craving garri and egusi soup, it's weird but that's the way God made me. The funny part is that my sweet treats always turn out to be so good. When ever I'm experimenting on a new recipe and I make mistake, often times the mistake turn out to be delicious and I wonder how I can be so good as something that I don't like eating. My friends, hubby, family and anyone who's fortunate to be around end up being the ones that enjoy my sweet treats. Recently I developed a hankering for sweet treats, I don't know what's causing it, maybe I just developed my sweet tooth but what ever it is, I've decided to go with flow until the urge passes. So on one of those sweet tooth days, I decided to try my hands on oatmeal cookies. I figured that if I was going to be on a sugar craze then I can at least make it a little bit healthy, hence the oatmeal. So guys here is the recipe, enjoy!!

INGREDIENTS

1) 1/2 pound of unsalted butter, at room temperature (Tip: when baking it's always better for all your ingredients to be at room temperature except the recipe specifies otherwise)

2) 1 cup of dark brown sugar (200g)

3) 1 cup of granulated sugar (190g)

4) 2 extra large eggs, at room temperature

5) 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

6) 1, 1/2 cups of  flour (330g)

7) 1 teaspoon of baking powder

8) 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon

9) 1 teaspoon of salt

10) 3 cups of old fashioned oatmeal (240g)

11) 1, 1/2 cups of raisins (225g)

PREPARATION

1) Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees F.

2) In the bowl of am electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar on medium high speed until light and fluffy. With the mixer on low, add the eggs one at a time and the vanilla.

3) Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together into a medium bowl. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture.
Add the oats and raisins and mix just until combined. Be careful not to over mix.

4) Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Using a small ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop 2-inch mounds of dough o to shhet pan. Space each mound at least 2 inches apart. Flatten each mound lightly with a dampen hand. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until lightly browned. Immediately they are baked, transfer the cookies to a baking rack and leave to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment